Re: How to connect cable modem to OnQ 1x12 Telecom w/ WAN

On 18 Oct 2005 18:02:52 -0700, bobocat38@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Just got a new home with an OnQ panel and completely lost as to how to
>connect the router and cable modem to the OnQ system in order to access
>internet connection from every room. I've tried calling OnQ and the
>builder and none were helpful.
>
>I have a 1x12 Telecom with WAN, cable internet access and a router.
>What is the best way to hook these up? The 1x6 Telecom Module has the
>Line In and 6 connectors all wired. There is a cat5 running from the
>test/bridge jack to the bridge in jack on the 6 Port Telecom Expansion.
>There are no wires connected to any of the 6 connectors on the Telecom
>Expansion. Do I have to do some sort of wire patching on the
>connectors? How do I do it?
>
>I have limited knowledge about telecom and networking so please help me
>out! Thanks!

I am in a similar  position as bobcat. I have the house wired for
ethernet, and the OnQ panel downstairs, but I am not sure how to
connect in the cable modem, or a router. I am also a novice when it
comes to networking and telecom.

Is it the case that a router has to be connected to the cat5 cable for
each room? And if that is the case, how do I figure out which cable
goes with which room? The wiring in the box is not very well labeled.

If it woulr help, I will try to get a picture of the panel and post
it.