Re: How to connect cable modem to OnQ 1x12 Telecom w/ WAN

<watsonjimNOSPAM2003@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>I have the house wired for
> ethernet, and the OnQ panel downstairs, but I am not sure how to
> connect in the cable modem, or a router.

If your panel does not already include a router or a switch, you will need
one to provide the data out to each jack. If you stick a pic on the web
somewhere, we can tell you exactly where to plug it in.

As for determining which cable is which, Home Depot has a ~$70 tone set that
works fairly well, but it might be less of a headache and cheaper to rent or
borrow a better one. Plug one end into the jack, and then wave the reciever
around the cables. The one that tones loudest is the one you're connected
to.

I've had trouble toning out wires, since they tend to be all bundled
together which get some induced crosstalk on each line, so I've taken to
using a 9v battery on a Cat5 plug, and an LED on the other end. Works a
treat.