Re: Decisions, decisions

Yep.
There is a native CQC driver for zWave, and there's a new version coming of
the driver coming out.

However, I still think the best path is to integrate CQC with the Elk, then
let the Elk manage Insteon or zWave. That way you lay down the right
foundation for however/wherever you want this path to take you. You can go
as far as you want - the nicest thing about CQC & Elk is that both are an
example of "best-in-class" for what they do, and are a great value for what
you get.

<and no, i don't work for either - i'm a mere customer, albeit a
fantastically happy one. I get no money or special consideration if you opt
to go down this route>

"Mr. Gibbage" <MrGibbage@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
message news:2cco02d1f9lsa7anesgeae4fi0f99acp6i@xxxxxxxxxx
> [...]
> to go with a system that will allow me to get to your level.  Will
> most systems such as Insteon and Z-wave work with CQC/ELK?
>
> Skip
>
> "IVB" <ivb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>Before I go any further, you have to see what one of the guys who uses my
>>HA/HT software is doing with security at:
>>http://charmedquark.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6558 . It's outstanding and
>>it was pretty simple for him to do. You can make it look much prettier if
>>you want, he doesn't care that much about that stuff.
>>
>>2 forums that are super-rich in content:
>>- cocoontech has many posts on HA
>>- In my opinion, CharmedQuark is the category owner for DIY HA/HT
>>software.
>>It's not as well known as it should be, but the owners have spent more $$
>>on
>>beefing up the architecture than on marketing. That too shall change
>>shortly, and i'm sure the price will go up as a result. Pretty much every
>>HomeSeer person who's seriously evaluated CQC has gone for it. I use it
>>for
>>HVAC, sound, video, irrigation, soon security, lighting, drape control,
>>camera control. The forum is at http://charmedquark.com/phpBB2/index.php.
>>
>>If you want to see details of my setup, check out my personal website at
>>www.myhometheaterpc.com . I've aliased www.myhomeautomationpc.com and
>>www.myhometheaterautomationpc.com to it as that's where i've evolved.
>>
>>Finally, i'd recommend looking at one of the automation panels to oversee
>>this. I just ordered an Elk M1, which is integratable with CQC.
>>
>>Hope this helps.
>>
>>- IVB
>>
>>"Mr. Gibbage" <MrGibbage@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
>>message news:than021ospdl82fqi96q0ij366qou644m9@xxxxxxxxxx
>>> I'm building a new house.  Well, I am having one built by a builder in
>>> a residential area, where he is building several houses.  The bottom
>>> line is, they really don't like the future owners "working" on site.
>>> Walking around, taking pictures, and checking up on things is ok, but
>>> if I were to bring a bunch of tools and cables, they'd have a problem
>>> with that.  So...
>>>
>>> I would like to jump into the HA pool and get my feet wet.  I have
>>> been lurking here for a few days, and see that I have many, many
>>> options.  I think that the only thing I know for sure is that I won't
>>> go with X-10.  But I sure can't decide which way I will go.  It will
>>> be self-installed.  I am pretty handy with tools, so I feel that I can
>>> handle anything that is considered "end-user" installable.  I have
>>> searched this group for the word "comparison", and have not really
>>> found a good site or post that compares and contrasts the many
>>> different options.
>>>
>>> Firstly, I want to control my lights.  Just a few simple scenes should
>>> take care of things.  Ultimately, I'd like to get into HVAC, sound,

>>> z-wave
>>> insteon
>>> homeseer
>>> x-10