Re: Power Supplies, Saving Money, and switching vs. Linear?

"Dave Houston" <nobody@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The "psychological payback" is a delusion. You can get the same "feel
> good"
> effect by spending the cost of the switchmode supply on a cheap bottle of
> whiskey.

18 year payback. 50 year payback.  Whichever. As one who is still going to
be around 50 years from now, and who expects to have grandchildren around
150 years from now, the suggestion of masking environmental apathy with
alcohol-inuced 'warm and fuzzies' bothers me a little bit.

It's too bad the phrase "for the benefit of future generations" has been
pilfered for use as hollow political rhetoric. Those of us in our twenties
probably would have liked to use it in an argument every now and then.

I'm not making a statement one way or another about switchmode supplies.
Small potatoes. But ending the argument with, "Screw that, lets get drunk
instead"... I'm just a little irked by that attitude.