Re: Power Supplies, Saving Money, and switching vs. Linear?

And I'm irked by nitwits who demonstrate time and time again their need for
a intensive course in reading and comprehension - but that appears to be
rather typical of your generation. Nowhere did I in any way suggest what
you've claimed I argued and I really resent stupid jerks who misunderstand
and/or misrepresent what I did write.

And I really, really resent repeated personal attacks from someone who
clearly is incapable of understanding anything more complex than 2+2.

My argument is that patting oneself on the back for taking marginal actions
that have some nebulous "psychological payback" is utterly ridiculous and
counter-productive (a waste of psychological energy) when Hummers get 13MPG,
many SUVs get little more, and we subsidize them through current tax laws.

NASA's chief environmental scientist thinks we have less than 10 years to
reduce and start reversing greenhouse gas emissions before we reach a
tipping point with regard to the polar ice caps. I suspect we've already
passed that tipping point. In either case, "psychological paybacks" won't
cut it nor will replacing existing linear supplies with switchmode supplies.
It requires real efforts with real paybacks. Countries like China and Brazil
seem to be far ahead of us in making real and meaningful efforts.

Overall, solar is currently one of the least efficient alternative energy
sources although new, spray-on photo-voltaics that also work with IR may
change that. But, no matter how efficient they become, they're not likely to
work well under water.

This is not to disparage Andrew's efforts to reduce his energy use. But, I
suspect he'll find far fatter targets than this particular power supply.