Re: Remote Car Battery Voltage Monitoring

Robert Green wrote:

> Thanks for the heads up.

You're welcome.  I figured this solution would be the best for you
because you could also install a jack to charge your dad's chair and the
output is a "tad" higher than the solar charger option.  You'll need an
automatic isolator, but that's a snap to find and install as well.  I
know you're not in Canada, but a store by the name of Canadian Tire
(http://www.canadiantire.ca) has one (search on "battery charger" in
"automotive").

> http://www.exide.com/products/trans/na/battery_care/electrical_parasitic_load.pdf
>
> Has a discussion of just that potential problem and how to trace it.  The
> process is woefully very much like hunting down a bad X-10 device or
> telephone extension.  Out comes the clamp ammeter.

In my experience, the "clamp" style ammeters aren't all that accurate
when it comes to reading small currents.  I like my digital multimeter
and doing things the "old fashioned" way.  :-)

Mind you, it'll mean you'll have to reset your dash clock and reprogram
the radio buttons, but I figure you're more than capable.  ;-)

Frank Olson
http://www.yoursecuritysource.com