Re: Inject text alerts into a CATV system

From: "Dave Houston" <nobody@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

>Three TVs does complicate things.

>Here are a few links to get you started...

> http://www.basicmicro.com/Product.aspx?productID=143&CategoryID=43

Thanks, Dave!

That Basic Atom looks like a sweet piece of HW to keep in mind for another
project but I've started re-thinking the problem from the ground up.  It may
be too damn difficult to execute at a reasonable price.  I may have to
settle for CID on one TV and an electronic doorbell.  I may be able to rig
the doorbell so that its volume is determined by the ambient noise level.
If Dad is watching March Madness with the volume at max, the doorbell volume
is at maximum.  When there's no sound detected, the doorbell is at normal
volume.

When I sat down with all the suggestions people had listed and all the
conditions, various inputs and outputs I had to deal with it turned out to
be too complex to function reliably unless I spent a TON of money on it.

> http://www.icircuits.com/prod_osd232.html

Looked interesting too.

http://www.worthdist.com/netmedia/nmctvx.htm

The CTV1-M looks interesting, but I am not sure how I can work it into a
closed system like the DVD/TV/VCR combo unless I develop some way to change
the channel to the "house news" channel and then back again when there's
been an alert requiring a text message.  That's nowhere near as good a
solution as being able to overlay text on the channel that he's currently
watching.

--
Bobby G.