Re: What can I replace this latching relay system with?

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 14:46:46 GMT, nobody@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Dave Houston) wrote
in message  <44ca1e04.877277234@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>I think you will have problems finding dimmers to use the existing
>control wires.
>
>You have 120V at the lighting fixtures and outlets. The relays swich this
>under control of the remote low-voltage switches.

In my recent experience, there are not problems finding 120 VAC lighting
dimmers using (nominal) 0-10 vdc . Analog low-voltage control of dimmed AC
lighting has been conventional and available for many years.

One readily available 0-10vdc analog input module that I have used
successfully in a commercial installation and have described previously in
comp.home.automation is Crydom's 0PCV2425 that provides variable power
("dimming") with a (maximum rated) 25 amp 120- 240VAC load.

http://www.crydom.com//userResources/productFamilies/50/crydom_pcv.pdf

15 and 40-amp versions are also available and also in stock at

 http://dkc3.digikey.com/PDF/T062/1564.pdf

Ordering from www.Digikey.com is a breeze and delivery is near
instantaneous.

(Note: As I remember/understand the US National Electrical Code (NEC), the
'switch' in this application needs to be de-rated 25% from max, so "15
amp" solid state relays (SSRs) do not meet NEC even for 15 amp lighting
circuits. Jist my "understanding" -- not gospel.)

For a wall controller, a simple approximately 10k potentiometer used as a
divide of a 10vdc supply will work perfectly and with reliability that
surpasses any powerline control system. However, this doesn't provide you
with "home automation".

My web site should be back up this weekend and may give you some
additional ideas on analog control for home automation including using
DMX512, SSR's and motorized potentiometers for HA control *if* you are
interested in DIY solutions or have an installer that is willing and able
to do (much ? ;-) more than installing commercial, turn-key systems.

... Marc
Marc_F_Hult
www.ECOntrol.org