Home Made IR Extender?

I recently purchased the Leapfrog LF-30s which has an IR extender.

My problem... I am using the LF-30s to transmit audio FROM the TV/DVD
TO my AV receiver which is located in a loft area above my living room
(where the TV is located).  So, I can see the AV receiver (physically
about 10-15 feet away) from the TV/Living room area) but my AV receiver
remote will not reach it.

The Leapfrog remote extender plugs into the TRANSMITTER.  I need it to
help me control the AV receiver and not the TV.  So essentially I would
want it to plug into the RECEIVER which is next to my AV unit.  The
LF-30s does not have an input for the extender.

I was wondering if it would work if I used a matching AC adapter (same
as the units have) and spliced it into the extender thing instead of
the 1/8 jack.  Plug it in and set it near my AV unit.  Since this
sounds a bit shaky, I decided I should ask first.

Does anyone have any idea how I can modify the remote extender to help
me control my AV unit?

Thanks!

Bob