Re: Multimedia

On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 11:50:24 -0400, eschuylerTAKE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
wrote in message  <tPqdnY3QCLteySPZnZ2dnUVZ_sqdnZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>Marc_F_Hult <MFHult@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 03:41:56 -0400, "Robert Green"
>><ROBERT_GREEN1963@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>><n7SdnWfNdKNIfiDZnZ2dnUVZ_tmdnZ2d@xxxxxxx>:

>>>That's a pretty good deal for the money.  A PIII-400's got plenty of
>>>horsepower for HA purposes - especially when used as just a "smart
>>screen."
>>>
>>>How is the screen?  Visible in daylight or when viewed at an angle?
Lots
>>>of them available on Ebay.  I just bought one to see for myself!
>>
>>Jist so others do not misunderstand, the Fujitsu 3400 tablet PC  is
*not*
>>a touch screen in the conventional sense. If you touch it with your
>>finger, or a celery stalk, or a pencil, nothing useful happens. It
>>requires a special wireless electronic pen.
>>
><remainder snipped>
>
>Marc,
>
>I don't believe this is correct. Based on the manual on the Fujitsu web
>site, the digitizer on the 3400 is a resistive type, and the pen is *not*
>active, just a mechanical stylus. This should mean that any pressure on
the
>digitizer will activate it.
>
>Eric

Cool! I stand corrected.  My (more expensive, newer) Toshiba has an
electronic pen. Shows the consequences of pontificating on a product one
doesn't actually use ...;-)

I presume now that the 'pen' is probably there because a finger is too
large for most of the originally intended purposes (based on my
experiences  800 x 600 industrial LCD touch screen Thinkpads).

My wife and I have gone back an forth on the touch screen thing, and at
present the plan is for me to re-install the 21" glass-screened
touch-screen monitor as part of the final phases of the kitchen rebuild.
In general, I find small touch screens to be less practical in reality
than in theory. For anything but a few quick pokes, holding ones hand up
to a screen is awkward and uncomfortable with or without a pen.  The large
monitor has the virtue of also serving as the 'TV' and of also having a
foolproof front-panel mechanical switch of the inputs (Computer or
McNeil-Lehrer), so it may have a semi-permanent home in the kitchen. The
glass screen means I can clean it without damage after I touch it with my
dough-covered fingers.

.... Marc
Marc_F_Hult
www.ECOntrol.org