Re: Multimedia

In article <u_WdnWhzjOgeql3ZnZ2dnUVZ_t6dnZ2d@xxxxxxx>,
Robert Green <ROBERT_GREEN1963@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>I really thought the unit came with a LAN jack.  Some of the older reviews I
>read referred to one being on board however I've learned that it's only
>active through one of the docking stations.

I discovered this too.  Before I bid on the unit, I downloaded all the docs
I could find and one of the Fujitsu docs indicated that the LAN was built in.
Even after I found out otherwise, it still seemed like a good deal.  I did
price docking stations but they were more than I wanted to pay.  Besides, I
wanted the LAN to be active if I was moving around with the tablet so wireless
really seemed the way to go.

>Tcl/Tk?  Unix tools?  What OS are you running?

Both tablets came preinstalled with Win2K (I suspect we both purchased from
Laptop Enterprise, since they are the biggest 3400 supplier on eBay).  Tcl
runs on just about everything, which is one reason why I use it.  You can
get a really good distribution of Tcl (or Perl, or Ruby or...) for various OS
flavors by downloading from www.activestate.com.  I generally just go ahead
and install an interpreter on the target system although it is fairly easy
to convert Tcl scripts into a standalone executable.

>Do you use screen protectors with your unit?  I'm tempted to, but I think
>I'll end up running the unit via USB mouse - maybe even wireless since I
>don't want any cords coming from the front of the unit.

I thought seriously about getting the screen protectors but ended up not
doing it.  Most of the time, the tablets just sit in a small plexiglas stand
that I made for them.  In this mode, I generally just use the small USB
mouse to control things.  About the only time I use the stylus is when I'm
doing a grocery shopping list; I have a small Tcl app that allows me to
select an item from a list of stuff I normally buy and add it to the current
shopping list.  When it prints out it's ordered by asile in the store (I
*hate* grocery shopping - anything that speeds it up is a plus).  Maybe if I
was using the stylus for a lot of things it might be different.  Besides, I
could be wrong, but I suspect these are nothing more than thin sheets of
mylar for $9.95 - the same thing you could get at Staples or Office Depot
for about fifty cents.

One other thing I forgot to mention; when I was first looking for docs, I
came across a Fujitsu Stylistic 3400 Discussion Board at:
  http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/index.php?fn=browse_forum&f=529

As you might expect, it's fairly low volume, but it might be a good place
to check if you have really specific questions.

Dave