New Construction Wiring was: Basic setup for zoned listening

on 1/4/2006 4:10 PM vluke carved the following into a picnic table:
> not sure if I should start a new thread?

Well, I will since this is almost completely off the original topic

> We are starting to have a house built and I have been trying to figure
> out what kind of whole audio system to install.  I think I want to go
> with something that is flexible for future expansion. Since I am
> thinking about running cat6 to lots of places around the house

<snip>

I have done this every time I have walls or ceilings opened up for any
reason throughout the years.  A long time ago, I used to run a telephone
cable and coax into a box in each wall of a room.  Later, I started
adding a few speaker wires to each project...then an RCA for subwoofer.
  Then networking came along and I had all these unused wires fixed in
the walls with no way to add network cable.  You probably see where this
is headed since this is years before wireless networking was viable at
home...

Anyway, my piece of advice is to run conduit everywhere you can possibly
imagine.  The bigger the better.  If you have a multi level house, try
to get something about 4-5" in diameter from the basement to the attic.
  The minimum I use anywhere is that blue flexible plastic stuff that is
about .75" on the inside.  It will really only hold about 5 ethernet and
2 RG-6 cables.

Now that I have pretty good Cat 5e coverage in my home, it looks like
fiber might be fun.  You just never know what you are going to want to
slip into the walls in the future.
--
Scott Knight