Re: Need advice for a wall-mounted patch panel for home network

BIOSMonkey wrote:
> I am finishing my basement and need some advice about terminating the network
> feeds from around the house.
>
> I initially was going to bring them all into a square wiring box, but realized
> that since I would be actually making the connections via switches and routers
> that are outside the box (on shelves) the square panel is not really needed.
>
> What I am looking for is some sort of rack mountable patch panel that is 16"
> wide so it will go between the studs in the wall.  The panel itself would
> slide/disconnect from the rack for wiring, but the rack itself mounts
> permanently between the studs so the drywall can be cut around it.
>
> Does something like this exist?

Not sure if I understand... you want a "rack" that mounts between
studs, and a panel that mounts to the rack? Is there a reason you can't
just surface-mount a panel?

Perhaps you're talking about something like the FutureSmart panels?
(see http://www.hometech.com/techwire/finpro.html#PANELS)

- Mark.