Re: Software for Central Heating Control

In article <1136370249.442615.10950@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
	meow2222@xxxxxxxxx writes:
> For the computer side of things, I would steer well clear of PCs, as
> you need a system that will stay running for years at a time, and PCs
> simply dont have the necessary hardware or software reliability. My

Um, they do, providing you aren't running anything Microsoft-based.
I run my system on an old 120MHz Pentium (which is still _way_ over
powered for the task) using Solaris x86, and it has never gone down
except when there's a power cut, which is roughly once every 400
days so far.

> And, as has been said, the system must fail to functional. If it
> doesnt, youre buying yourself a whole lotta trouble downline, and
> trouble costs money.

Or fail-safe and alert you, which is what mine would do (hasn't
ever done so yet, except when deliberately engineered to do so
to test it works correctly). I also watchdog the system from the
burglar alarm, which will alert me if it fails, and can remotely
reboot it if required (again, never required as yet).

--
Andrew Gabriel