Re: Simple whole house fan controller - and maybe the start of a hobby

Hi

Im currently controlling my bedroom fans (without selectable speeds)
using temp feedback  to turn them on / off as required....Since im Oz
based i use CBUS (hardware)  and xPL (PC based)......

One of our xPL Developers has written a plugin for UPB  and from his
feedback
its much more reliable than x10.....His x10 installation worked fine
for quite a few years and then started being unreliable ...To use his
plugin you are required to install  Java 1.5....

xPL is free....check out the links

http://wiki.xplproject.org.uk/index.php/Main_Page

http://www.xpl4java.org/UPB4Java/

There is a plugin for a temp device called TOM10 which allows you to
connect up to 10 Dallas Temp Sensors...and can report in C or F....Not
sure if this link works ....

www.gadgetjunkie.net/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=17

I use my own hardware for temp sensing which also has an xPL Plugin..
http://www.armaghelectrical.com.au/page9.html

Theres also currently a Z-Wave plugin being developed for xPL as well

HTH
Frank

--
Frank Mc Alinden