Re: Software for Central Heating Control

On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 21:14:12 -0500, ChainSmoker
<mtbXpert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
<Pnkvf.1537$Ej6.932@xxxxxxxx>:

>Marc F Hult wrote:
>

>> The software I use (CyberHouse by Savoy, now not available to consumer)
has
>> an energy use module that can download energy cost from the web in real
>> time, monitor power consumption on nine circuits  and control Cutler
Hammer
>> circuit breakers. Savoy's efforts in this area were funded in part by US
>> Government grant, and the original installations were in Texas in about
>> 1999.
>>

>Marc,
>Do you also have an automation panel or is your system all PC software
>driven?
>
>Gary

Neither, although I recently purchased an Elk M1G automation panel which is
not yet installed.

Since 1999, the system has consisted in autonomous devices that communicate
with and through pc-based software.

Subsystems (Security = Napco 9600;  Thermostats =
Enerzone/Statnet/Aprilaire; IR = Nirvis Slinke; Lighting = X10 + DIY;
Analog and digital I/O with controller = Elk  MM443S Magic Modules; others)
all work whether or not the PC is running.

So it is not "PC software driven" but, rather, 'PC software coordinated' in
what I describe as a 'federated system' and is also described as
"PC-centric". www.premisesystems.com and www.charmedquark.com are examples
of such systems. Www.homeseer.com has also matured from its original
X10tricity to encompass many devices. ( X10sic systems in general are
hometoys and aren't dependable in my opinion and experience.)

IMO, a system that depends on a one-off program written and maintained by
one mortal individual is fragile indeed -- no matter how well executed.

A 'federated system' is intrinsically more robust than a pc-based in
important respects and is usually more practical to maintain. The HVAC
repair folks have a thermostat that they understand and can service, the
alarm monitoring company interfaces with a security panel it is used to --
and so on.

... Marc
Marc_F_Hult
www.ECOntrol.org