Re: Basic setup for zoned listening

on 1/2/2006 8:30 AM robingSA@xxxxxxxxx carved the following into a
picnic table:
> Hi,
>
> I am wanting to play audio from my PC and have the choice of listening
> either at the PC itself or in one of 2 other rooms.  So if I want to
> listen in the kitchen, for example, I would want to be able to mute the
> other two rooms.
>
> 1 - What sort of hardware setup do I need for the sound?
> 2 - Are there any decent, freeware apps to handle this?

I am getting involved in this at the moment and am going down the
Squeezebox/Slimserver route.  You should probably do some reading at
http://www.slimdevices.com/  They have forums and you can find quite a
lot of info around the web as well.

The parts that sold me are: free server that runs on Linux (I am
currently running the beta version), free PC client that emulates the
hardware, native FLAC support, wireless capability (for those rooms that
I just can't get a wire into) and the ability to synchronize as many
clients as I want for true whole house audio.

The single thing I wish were available was a complete Sonos-like system
that included speakers and all.  This would make it MUCH easier to drag
out to the patio or the garage for temporary use.

Oh, yeah, the Sonos route is another nice option if you can justify the
cost.
--
Scott Knight