Re: Best brand coax and F connector for HD cable?

Rogue Petunia wrote:

> Choices:
> 1.  Make my own length of Belden Quad Shielded with the
>     connectors you indicated (F RG6-Quad PermaSeal-II ).
>     Would have to  buy the compression tool, the coax
>     striper, the cable, the connectors.
>
> 2.  Buy a custom made length of SCP quad shield with Thomas
>     & Betts Snap n Seal connectors from the ebay guy.

http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Products/Perfect/PPC-EX.htm

PPC EX6 XL connectors (100 for $35).  I think you're going to have a
hard time finding a compression tool for those.

At the very least, you will need this coax stripper:

http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Products/Install/HT-302-Cable-Stripper.htm

You can get that same exact stripper from many vendors.  It looks like
$10.

A cable cutter like this is optional.  $7.

http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Products/S/HT206-Cable-cutter.htm

> 3. Buy a custom made length of  Perfect Vision quad shield
>    with Thomas & Betts Snap n Seal connectors from the ebay
>    guy.

Here's your Thomas & Betts stuff:

http://www.youdoitelectronics.com/id104.htm

I don't know if I like that tool.  Lots of stuff on that page - don't
necessarily know which items to get.

> I can buy #2 & #3 options from this ebay guy who makes up custom
> lengths of coax with the Snap n Seal connectors attached for
> about $30 for 75 feet.

Are you running coax in walls and stuff, or short lengths out in the
open to connect between various A/V components?  You're gonna need
some flexibility if this is for short lengths out in the open, because
the RG-6 stuff doesn't like to be bent in too tight a circle (limited
bend radius).

If you're running coax inside walls, then the connectors go on last.

> I would use this tool only once, maybe twice in the forseeable
> future (I'm not a cable guy, you see ;).  Should I just go with
> the stuff from the dude selling custom lengths on ebay, and
> skip the whole part where I try to be The Cable Guy myself?
> thanks!

I think that tools are a good investment, so I'm biased towards buying
the tools even if you *think* you'll only use them once.  More than
likely you'll want to update/improve or add to the cable plant in your
house at some point later.