Re: Electronically controlled HVAC damper?

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 19:55:24 -0300, Robert L Bass
<sales@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 11:57:15 -0700, "Chris Shearer Cooper"
><chrisnews@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> The heating system in my 1970-era home was designed and installed by trained
>> monkeys; as a result, we are constantly trying to adjust the open-ness of
>> the various registers in a futile attempt to get the heat evenly
>> distributed.
>>
>> I can certainly imagine a system with thermostats distributed around the
>> house and a central control system deciding where the heat needs to go, the
>> problem I'm having is finding the right parts to actually control the
>> airflow.
>>
>> I see a lot of electronically controlled dampers around, some of them for as
>> little as $70, which isn't bad, but it requires tearing up ceilings in order
>> to have access to the ductwork.
>>
>> Is there such a thing as an electronically controlled register?  So I could
>> just pull out the manually operated ones, drop in a couple electronic ones,
>> and then start the fun of getting them to work right?
>
>There's an article on this very subject in HomeToys (one of the
>better HA info websites).  Here's the URL:
>http://www.hometoys.com/htinews/aug99/articles/muziani/muziani.htm
>
>Here's a fellow who made his own system:
>http://www.earthtoys.com/emagazine.php?issue_number=02.09.01&article=muziani

Servos are pretty handy things and are easily computer controlled
if desired. Below is a simple setup I made to test t-stat control
with a servo. If a damper is well lubed and moves very easily,
then a servo could probably be used to move it to its desired
position. Definately a DIY type of thing.

http://www.geocities.com/zoomkat/t-stat.htm