Re: translation question

Dave Houston wrote:
> It will simplify things for the translators if the X-10 codes which are to
> be translated to/from Insteon or UPB are segregated by housecode with any
> specific housecode limited to 100% X-10 devices or to Insteon and/or UPB
> devices.
>
> Does anybody see a major problem with this?
>
> Also, I'm not very familiar with the capabilities of the various high end
> controllers like JDS, HomeVision, HAI, etc. Can they be programmed to send
> X-10 addresses and functions independently or must they always send both the
> address and function codes?

JDS controllers (Stargate, TimeCommander) support sending and receiving
address only, function only, as well as complete address and function
codes and preset dim commands (standard and extended code types).
Limiting the translation to complete housecodes as suggested could
impact existing users.  As one migrates from X-10 to Insteon (or UPB),
there will be a mix of both technologies.  The problem locations would
most likely get changed out first.  In many cases, users will opt to
keep the working X-10 devices in operation (until they fail).  If only
one or two locations are problematic on a given housecode, the user
would be forced to replace all X-10 devices on that housecode with
Insteon or UPB.  It would be best if roZetta could be programmed on an
individual address basis, allowing a mix of X-10 and other technologies
within a housecode.