Electronically controlled HVAC damper?

The heating system in my 1970-era home was designed and installed by trained
monkeys; as a result, we are constantly trying to adjust the open-ness of
the various registers in a futile attempt to get the heat evenly
distributed.

I can certainly imagine a system with thermostats distributed around the
house and a central control system deciding where the heat needs to go, the
problem I'm having is finding the right parts to actually control the
airflow.

I see a lot of electronically controlled dampers around, some of them for as
little as $70, which isn't bad, but it requires tearing up ceilings in order
to have access to the ductwork.

Is there such a thing as an electronically controlled register?  So I could
just pull out the manually operated ones, drop in a couple electronic ones,
and then start the fun of getting them to work right?

Thanks,
Chris