Re: Insteon receptacles?

"none" <none@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

<stuff snipped>

> I would see them having no problem making a standard sized duplex outlet
> similar to the X-10 ones (at worse, just as deep).

Well, they haven't been able to design a reliable in wall-outlet yet. They
don't even have their own X-10 version as far as I can tell.  That tells me
there's something wrong.  Not enough demand?  Maybe, but I doubt it.  There
have been plenty of calls for it, including yours and the OP's.

http://www.smarthome.com/includes/showimage2005.asp?img=/images/2476sside2bi
g.jpg

The new *switches* are smaller BUT they are switches, not outlets.  It's not
a fair comparison.  They have a single relay in a configuration that doesn't
have to include space for inserting two three-prong grounded plugs.  A
duplex wall receptacle with two fully-addressable 110VAC outlets will
require space for two relays and two receptacles.  That makes them hard to
compare reasonably to a device like a wall switch which needs only one relay
and NO real estate inside the box for two receptacles.

As slim as it is, even the V2 couldn't easily accommodate the addition of
two grounded 110VAC receptacles AND a second 110VAC relay.  Imagine smushing
a 99 cent Home Depot outlet into that Switchlinc box in the photo above.
Now imagine cramming *another* Switchlinc inside the box so you can remotely
control both the lower and upper outlets.  I believe that's why we've seen
no such devices from Smarthome.  They can't imagine how to cram 10 pounds of
*stuff* into a 5 pound sack, either!

Actually, I think it's a smart move.  The X-10 outlet has a terrible
reputation for reliability.  I think they didn't want to inherit that
reputation and are working on different designs to insure an ultra-reliable
outlet because it's both a pain and a hazard to have to constantly replace
them if they fail.  The in-wall wiring pigtails get flexed too much and
often break if you pull a switch or outlet too many times, especially in a
house with old wires.

--
Bobby G.