Re: zoned or not zoned?? thermostatic control of multiple spaces

>> I can't even get my wife to agree how to set the thermostat....
>
> Heh, this is where programmable theromstats are handy.  I've specifically
> added some set-back events timed to execute about a half-hour after the wife
> is known to fiddle with the thermostat.  Works wonders.  She'd come home and
> crank down the AC, in a half-hour the event would reset it to a more
> reasonable setting.  Saved considerably in the marital bliss department.

That is one of the "primary directives" for my HA system.  My sweetheart is an angel.  However, she's totally non-technical and I
cannot get her to understand that setting the thermostat for 78F will not make the house heat up faster.  She envisions the system
as though there's a flame that gets bigger when you adjust the thermostat upwards, similar to turning the gas up on the range.

My plan is to use analog temperature sensors in each zone and let the ELK M1G control the HVAC.  I'll leave the existing stats
powered up so she can fiddle with them but they won't control anything.  :^)

> If/when thermostats and the like get real bidirectional feedback it'd be
> great.  It'd be great to have a CPU balance between outside ambient
> temperature, day/night sun conditions, occupancy and preset programming
> definitions.  As in, detect that someone's fiddled with the thermostat, let
> them "get away with it" for a short while and resume settings as desired
> while being intelligent about it.  Until then, ah well.

This can be done using existing hardware.  Connect the stats to your HA system.  If someone sets the stat higher than the current
setting, throw a relay allowing the stat to control the HVAC system for 30 minutes and then release the relay.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics