Re: Hard-wired HA lighting; was Re: XTB, reliablity, etc.

On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 05:30:26 -0500, "Robert Green"
<ROBERT_GREEN1963@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
<ud6dnbYPAvgnruDYnZ2dnUVZ_h2pnZ2d@xxxxxxx>:

>"Marc_F_Hult" <MFHult@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>
><stuff snipped>
>
>> Take the example of converting to centralized hard-wired
>> dimming of a ceiling light powered through a wall switch.
>
>That ceiling light represents perhaps one tenth of my HA use.  Most of my
>modules are plugged into outlets or powerstrips controlling free-standing
>lamps and devices.  When you have to start pulling wire to every switch and
>outlet in the house to create a truly hardwired control system, you're
>talking about turning the house upside.  Wifey no like!

"[] have to start pulling wire to every switch and outlet in the house" ?!.

HippoSpeak Alert ;-}  Does one 'have to start installing X-10 to every switch
and outlet in the house' in order to use X-10 anywhere at all?

Rest assured that there nuthin about hard-wired lighting that requires this.
One can have hard-wired control of a single light or outlet. The choice of
which to run hardwired and which to control via PLC, RF or IR can be based on
actual need and circumstances and not dogma.

But hard-wired, however reliable is not a panacea. For example, the common
need for dimming lamps with cords through wall-mounted receptacles does
present a special case for hard-wired dimming that is (OIME) commonly
improperly installed by home-improvement enthusiasts even when the dimmer is a
conventional, non-automated manual, wall-mounted dimmer and not automated (eg
X-10, INSTEON, Z-wave, Centralite).

Wall outlets (receptacles) compliant with US and Canadian electrical codes are
listed for either nominal 120 or 240 volts. The National Electrical Code (NEC)
effectively prohibits  the dimming of standard (typically "duplex")
receptacles with standard dimmers through (at least):

	110-3(B). Installation and Use. Listed or labeled equipment
	shall be installed and used in accordance with any instructions
	included in the listing or labeling.

	404.14(E) Dimmer Switches. General-use dimmer switches shall be
	used only to control permanently installed incandescent luminaires
	(lighting fixtures) unless listed for the control of other loads
	and installed accordingly.

One apparently approved way to power a dimmed outlet is to use a Lutron Duplex
for Dimming Use (DFDU) or Half For Dimming Use (HFDU) receptacle and For
Dimming Use (FDU) mating plug.

http://www.lutron.com/instructions/030825d.pdf
http://www.lutron.com/applicationnotes/048085b.pdf

Unfortunately, these are only UL-listed for use with 14 specific Lutron dimmer
families and three control systems. Ironically, of these, the dimmers most
frequently supported  by the HA control systems frequently discussed in this
newsgroup is RadioRA -- an RF-based system.

And a Lutron plug and receptacle cost ~$30 (! -- if you can find 'em) so
dimming of portable (plug-in) lamps is one use where X-10/INSTEON/Z-wave/etc
_modules_ have significant advantages over hard-wired owing to practical
(don't want to burn out the vacuum cleaner) regulatory and cost
considerations.

... Marc
Marc_F_Hult
www.EControl.org