Re: MP3 screen to Amplifier

"JW" <jweb@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:Wzgfh.28612$wP1.15416@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> What I did in my garage was buy a cheap DVD player that plays MP3 and
hooked
> it into my receiver (audio) and a small B&W monitor (video). That way, I
had
> a screen to show everything that was playing, plus it was remote
controlled.
> Hope this helps.  JW

Yes!  I do much the same thing - about 20 slots of my Sony 400 disc DVD
jukebox are loaded with MP3 disks of different genres.  Since it's hooked
into the house CATV and PowerMid IR controllers, it's a cinch to pull up the
playlist on any TV in the house and select whatever disks and tracks you
want.  When it's not serving music, it's playing DVDs throughout the house
using the same equipment.  Works out very nicely and no PC's are involved.
DVD's hold an *awful* lot of MP3's.  Nero has a special feature to create
DVD MP3's that I use as well.  My entire CD collection boiled down to only 4
DVD's because a lot of so-so tracks never got ripped.  We have a lot of
redundancy in the discs that are loaded in the jukebox so we can select
various mixes of music more easily.

While there's only true hi-fi stereo in two rooms (where the main and remote
speakers of the amp are located) we both find the music playing from the
remote TV's quite acceptable.  If the quality really bothered my, I'd buy
MTS stereo capable modulators, but in the bedrooms and kitchen, hi-fi stereo
is not really necessary.

I think the most interesting discovery I made doing this is how quickly you
get used to the order of songs laid down on the disc.  I'm always thrown off
when I use the random play mode because songs don't segue into one another
the way I'm used to.  Another discovery was how much I now depise commercial
radio and blathering DJ's now that I am used to uninterrupted music playing
for hours on end on demand.  The only problem there is that it's hard to get
exposed to new music without putting up with DJ blather at least a little.

--
Bobby G.