Re: Reading power levels

"sylvan butler" <ZsdbUse1+noZs_0612@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:slrnen1e7t.5sm.ZsdbUse1+noZs_0612@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> On Fri, 1 Dec 2006 20:39:41 -0000, The Grim Reaper
> <dontbother@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> No doubt another stupid question :D
>
> Not at all.
Sure?? :)

>> Has anyone come across any devices (UK compatible) that can monitor the
>> total current coming into your property??
>
> up for some DIY?
I would be... but I don't have THAT sort of time on my hands!!  (Or the
learning curve time either!!)

> http://www.edcheung.com/automa/power.htm
>
>> Also, I don't suppose anyone in the electricity (or gas) supply sectors
>> know
>> of any domestic devices that give an interface to your meter readings??
>
> Some meters have a flashing LED which flashes per some unit of
> consumption.  Optical detection...
I was about to type that'd never seen an LED on a meter... then I remembered
someone came to "do something" to the meter last year, so I got off my lazy
ass and had a look.  Lo and behold, there's a convenient red LED that blinks
1000 times for every kWh!!  Perfect!!

(Just to assure myself... "1000 imp/kWh" does mean 1000 times (I assumed
impulses?) per kWh - in other words, 1 flash is equivalent to a watt used in
an hour.)
[I hate the term kWh.. messes with one's mind... lol]

> Some meters have a black and silver disk that can be optically detected
> to give a pulse per unit.
>
> Some meters have spinning magnets that can be detected with a hall
> effect sensor for a pulse per unit.
>
> Some meters actually transmit a signal and you might could tie into
> that.
I suppose a RS-232 compatible signal straight to my PC COM port is a bit
much to hope for!! :))

> sdb
>
> --
> Wanted:  Omnibook 800 & accessories, cheap, working or not
> sdbuse1 on mailhost bigfoot.com
Thanks sdb.
Grim