Re: Home Theatre Macros

Dave Houston wrote:
> Lewis Gardner <lgardner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>>E. Lee Dickinson wrote:
>>

>>>If there's a cheaper macro remote,
>>>I'll consider it.
>>
>>http://www.hifi-remote.com/ofa/
>

> Plus http://www.rentyman.com/neatstuff/tattoo.html so they can keep a list
> of button sequences on their forearm. ;-)

The tattoo might be cool but it is not needed.

Using JP-1 with an extender the device buttons on a remote can contain
macros. So if I press the DVD button at the top of the remote the
following macro runs:

Turn on TV
Turn on Receiver
Turn on DVD (press Play)
Select Component1 input on TV
Select DVD input on receiver
Send X-10 command for preset light level
Set volume control to receiver
Set transport controls to DVD

Powerful stuff for a $30 remote. Nothing else like it...

There is a learning curve to the software and you do need a cable and a
supported remote.

All the basic functionality for most equipment can be put on a key that
is labeled appropriately.

No usable remote can replace all the functions on all the dedicated
remotes in a complex system. Some receivers now have over 70 buttons on
the remote plus on-screen menus. Most of those buttons are never used.
The trick is to figure out what functions you really need and put them
on your remote.

I wouldn't trade my OFA Cinema 7 remotes for Prontos due to the lack of
tactile feedback on a touchscreen and the extra effort required in
programming.

If you work with consumer IR you should get to know JP-1.