Re: For 1-2 days work, some serious HA progress

>> I got serious progress on 4 major fronts:
>> 1) CCTV webserver working again. it broke when I tried to downgrade to
>> Diginet V4.11
>> 2) Front Door covert MotionDetector Camera working kinda[. Either I got
>> cheap cables, cheap BNC connectors, cuz I had a HECK of a time getting a
>> connection to hold. Plus, see the pics below, the image is a little
>> funky.
>> This part isn't done yet.
>
> I recall at your site you talked about these items having a low ROI.  I
> thought the same way until I ruptured a tendon.  Then I wished I had
> completed the remote door lock, the front door cam and the video intercom
> earlier.  As it so often happens, when I needed them most, I was unable to
> move around well enough to complete the task!  It just like Mark Twain
> said
> about roof leaks.  Can't fix them when it's raining, don't need to when
> it's
> not!

Actually, wife changed her mind, which improved the "I" part of it. We had
some shrubs stolen, plus there was a home invasion about 2 miles away
[granted, much worse part of town]. Situation sucked, but at least now we
"get it".

> I'm very happy with my 3400.  It's powerful enough so that I can run a
> music
> stream AND full motion video with audio *simultaneously* (which I never
> expected from a 400MHz Celery processor!)  That's probably because they
> used
> above-average components for both video and audio.

Dang; i was trying to run some recorded TV last night, didn't have much luck
unless I cranked down the settings. How much RAM do you have?
>> 4) CQC state logic and Elk rules setup so that I can tell if there's been
>> activity in a room within the last X minutes. I initially started with
>> 5mins, but will probably change that to 15 once this is debugged.
>
> We'll all need Star Trek comm badges in the future.  That's really the
> only
> reliable way to determine who's where in the house.  I don't mean to
> belittle your efforts in any way, but every expectation *I* had of
> reliable
> occupancy sensing has been dismantled by various real-world issues.
> Here's
> hoping that you can get it working well enough for you to fufill your
> needs.
> I can guarantee you one thing:  It will be a learning experience! :-)

Yeah, learning is all i'm really looking for. After some of the prior posts,
i'm not sure about the value of this, but it is at least cool to do :-)

> I've been toying with getting an ADI "Speakeasy" to add voice prompts to
> the
> HA but it's not a big priority.  Still, it would be nice to have.  I want
> have all phones ring through a speaker system instead of their built-in
> ringers so that I can block unknown callers from ringing through at night.
> The problem with that is sometimes emergency calls come in without caller
> ID
> info and hence wouldn't ring through.  What I need is some way of
> answering
> the phone and giving the callers the option to "press the star key if this
> is an emergency."
That's interesting - i'm not actually sure how i'll leverage this. It's one
of those "build it and i'll see how/where it's useful".

>> Here's screenshots of 2/3/4:
>>

> http://www.myhometheaterpc.com/screenshots/vladstudio/VladStudio_Camera.jpg
>
> Looks neat.  It that all done with Charmed Quark?

Yep.