how to automate shear n welder

we are manufactring tube mill. IN tube mill there is a machine shear
and welder .
it is used to weld the last end of going coil and front end of coming
coil. for smmoth welding we shear some part of bot strips then weld it
so it is called shear n welder.
now what we r doing is to put these two strips manully so as to any gap
between them for proper welding.
but we want this process also be automated
means we want that when the edge of two strips just join welding should
start .highly precision is required as any deviation from edge cause
defects.