Re: roZetta Status

I'll let Jeff provide final figures but, when I started this project I said
I thought it would end up around $100-125 assembled (excluding the ethernet
module, RF receiver, & IR receiver which weren't in my initial plans). I
think it's going to come in towards the mid to low end of that although
there are additional costs for the opto module and the 555 pulse stretcher
module. There are also added costs for cables, power supply, etc. I think
Jeff plans to be a single source for everything needed.

Those who build it themselves can save even more. Jeff (whose wife won't let
him use the toaster oven for SMT) has been beating me about the head with a
2x4 for a couple of days until I finally saw the light (or maybe I saw stars
or the 2x4 going up in flames) and now see a way to modify the design so it
can use either vertically mounted through-hole caps/resistors or the SMT
versions. Through-hole simplifies hand assembly while SMT simplifies
automated assembly.

There will still be a few SMT components but they will be pre-installed. The
initial (small) batch of boards are all SMT and will probably be sold fully
assembled (except for ZX-40, ethernet module, RF receiver, IR receiver) as I
saw a way to simplify the TTL controller interface which requires soldering
in a wire that can only be added after most of the components are installed.

Jeff is getting quotes on pre-machined enclosures (versus machining them
himself) and is planning to offer a for-fee assembly service so it's
starting to look semi-professional for a DIY project (assuming it works). ;)

Now, if I could only figure out why the printed circuit boards were red when
they came out of the toaster oven...