Help running X10 ActiveHome on a Windows XP PC

I Have the X10 ActiveHome kit (the older serial port interface one, not
the USB one).  For the lif of me I can't the software to communicate
with the CM11A (the computer interface unit)
I have all the most recent software - have tried it on com ports 1 and
2,  never works.

I saw an article on the X10- page they guy apparently had the same
problem I did

I recently purchased ActiveHome Computer Interface & Software. I
followed the Installation instructions to install the software on
mycomputer. I have windows XP. The computer would not recognize the
com-port, also the computer locked up.I had to push the button to shut
down the computer. Disconnect the cablefrom the Serial port and push
the button to start up the computer again.

If you installed the software from the CD rom, uninstall it, as it is
an older version. Download the most recent version from our web site
http://www.smarthome.com/1140.HTML by clicking the link for "Single
Download Ver 1.42D" under "Software Downloads" to the right of the
product picture. You also need to download the "Drivers for Windows
XP". Restart your machine in Safe Mode and install the drivers and
software, and then restart the machine normally. This should resolve
the problem.

I tried doing this on the Administrator account and on my (the main and
only other account) and it still doesn't work -- I am never able to get
cpmmunication between the CM11A module and my XP PC.

My guess is that XP is reserving/hiding  the com ports (1 & 2) from the
X10 software.  The com ports are fully functional, and will work just
fine with other serial devices.

I've tried searching the web and X10 site with no luck.

Any help you gurus  could offer would be very much appreciated -- my
brother George suggested that look for help here -- some of you may
know home, he works for the Electronics house family of publications.
He's the dude who manages their trade show.  I'd be sure to put a good
word in with him for any help offered.

Thanks much

Kevin K.