Re: Insteon - WOW

I said Insteon was backwards compatible with X10, not that X10 was
compatible with Insteon.

Any X10 controller can control any current Insteon device and any Insteon
controller can control any X10 device (with the limitation being Insteon
devices only support X10 pre-set dim commands and not regular X10 dim
commands).

The translator is only needed if you wanted to use Insteon protocol (main
reason you'd want a translator) or for a potential future Insteon device
that does not natively support X10. (However, when you see how superior
Insteon is to X10, you'll want to switch everything over to Insteon). (A
third reason would be for those that'd rather program X10<->Insteon mappings
through software rather than going through the hassle of programmign X10
addresses, which is a hassle if you aren't using decent home automation
software.)

Insteon devices are not either Insteon or X10, they support both at the same
time. X10 is ignored unless an X10 address is programmed into the Insteon
device. On devices set up as both Insteon and X10 when communicating to
another device also set up as dual Insteon/X10, Insteon takes priority
(according to SmartHome). SmartHome canceled their translator because they
realized it wasn't needed (and you can still get the translator, it is a
free download for developers - which only costs $99 and you get a PLC and
LampLinc (which, I think was the same price as the translator)).

So, again, Insteon natively speaks X10, and for most people in most
circumstances no translator is needed. (And from what I understad, the
RoZetta is going to be more than just a translator)