Re: Wires Through Walls

BrianEWilliams wrote:
> I'd like to put a media server in my bedroom closet.  The problem is
> that there is no power, cable, or ethernet in the closet.  I could run
> wires along the baseboard, but that is ugly.  I could pay an
> electrician, but that is expensive.  The idea I have is to drill a
> large hole through two pieces of wallboard and run the wires through
> that.  This would be behind furniture and not visible from the bedroom.
>
> The simplest thing I can think of to do this cleanly is a plastic
> conduit that has removable caps on both ends for when it is not in use,
> and 'flanges' on both sides to cover the rough cut of the wallboard.
> Looking at it in profile, it would look like this:
>
>      _   _
> wall  | |  wall
> wall _| |_ wall
>
> In this diagram, the wires would run between the |'s.  The _'s are the
> flanges.
>
> Anyone know if something like this is available?

they sell small round plastic wire devices for running wire through your
desk top at the home box type stores.  You drill a 3 or 4" hole and slip
the sleeve into it and then there is a cover that snaps into the sleeve.
   They come in different colors and the cover has a slot in it for the
wires to come trhough neatly.  These would be ideal and I have seen them
used in the fashion you describe.