Re: 1-wire to USB converter that can use 1820s directly

Byron Hynes <bph@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote

> You mean the part where the guy with the Doctorate and years of
> experience is doing something that *you* don't understand?

Nope, no such animal. I understand it fine thank, and
you dont even know what qualifications I have. And I
have likely been doing it for longer than Pete has too.

> Like I said, either buy a solution or build one.

You quite sure you aint one of those rocket scientist eejuts ?

The other obvious alternative is to buy what is pretty
close to what I need, and make a few changes to
the 1-wire side IF THAT IS ACTUALLY NECESSARY.

> Since there doesn't seem to be one to buy that meets your requirements,

We dont know that yet. Until someone actually trys it,
we dont know for sure whether a commercial USB/1-Wire
converter/adapter will do the job or not. It looks rather like
it will work fine and isnt really possible to know for sure
since hardly anyone actually provides a full schematic
for their commercial USB/1-Wire converter/adapter and
1-wire isnt that rigorously specified in that particular situation
in the datasheets. Since strings of 1820 clearly work fine
for Pete, it looks very like they will work fine in that config
too, with a different 1-wire bus master, particularly as I
dont need hundreds of feet of 1-wire bus.

> and you don't seem to be able to build one,

Best get your seems machinery seen too. I am quite
capable of building one, have designed and built
MUCH more complicated stuff than that in the past.
I just prefer to not reinvent the wheel if that isnt
necessary and was essentially asking if someone
had already tried what I am considering.

It appears that no one in here has, so it makes
considerable sense to do the strings the way
Pete does them, try a commercial USB/1-Wire
converter/adapter, modify the 1-wire side if it
doesnt work fine, and if it turns out to not be
practical for some reason, use one of Pete's
USB flavours of what drives that and wear the
fact that its got some real downsides on the
packaging and command capability side.