Re: Standalone remote monitoring devices

L. M. Rappaport wrote:
> On 13 Apr 2006 05:17:29 -0700, tcmontanye@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote (with
> possible editing):
>

>>I'm looking for the best options for monitoring/controlling my home
>>while I'm out of state for the year.  There is power in the house and
>>I'm now getting an internet connection installed again. I ordered the
>>Trendway IP camera that has it's own webserver built in.  Anyone know
>>of any other web based devices that may help me?  I'd like to be able
>>to control appliances/lights in the house but I don't want to run a
>>computer there.  I could put a router in and attach several devices.
>>Any other devices out there that have their own web interface not
>>requiring a computer?
>>
>>       Thanks in advance for any suggestions
>

> Perhaps one of the most critical criteria you haven't mentioned:  In
> what state does a device come up which has lost power?  Do you have
> anyone nearby who will be willing to reset devices once the power goes
> off?
> --
>
> Larry
> Email to rapp at lmr dot com

For short power failures, he can always use a stand-alone UPS.  If he
maintains connectivity through the modem (either DSL or cable) he
shouldn't have a problem.  Local outages happen though.  I'm wondering
what he's going to do if the cable or DSL signal is interrupted.  I use
a router for both the home and office internet connections.  About twice
a year I have to alter the DNS numbers to maintain connectivity and Shaw
(my provider) is frequently working on the lines in the "wee hours" of
the morning.

You should also check your insurance policy for an "abandonment clause".
  In some areas (like Edmonton, Alberta for instance), if you leave your
house unoccupied for more than 72 hours, the insurance coverage lapses.
  To prevent this from happening, someone you trust has to go through
the home and check everything every three days.  Make sure they fill out
a log book noting the date and time of their visit.

I would definitely consider installing a monitored alarm system if
you're going to leave your home for that period of time.

My "two cents".

Frank Olson
http://www.yoursecuritysource.com