Re: HAI software

On 1 Apr 2006 13:54:00 -0800, "Dennis" <djr-google.djrlar@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Robert,
>
> It's really simpler then you might think to make the PC software
> accessible.  There's no need to figure out how to interface it to
> either a braille or speech output device.  That's all been done and is
> incorporated into our PC access software.  What is required is that the
> software programmers be aware of the coding techniques, such as
> providing keyboard navigation for all functions, labeling graphics with
> text labels, use standard Windows controls rather then Custom controls,
> ETC.   These are the programming techniques outlined in the Microsoft
> document.

Dennis,

Ah, yes.  That makes sense.  Let's follow up on it with ELK when the staff
return from the EH Expo.  BTW, I'm usually in Brazil during the Expo so
unfortunately I rarely attend any more.  But if you would like a guest pass let
me know.  I'd be glad to see to it that you receive one.  Same is true for the
CEDIA trade show (September, Indianapolis) except there's a fair chance I'll
attend that one this year.  If you're interested let me know.

> NOW!  Lets talk about making the "Control panels" and other interface
> hardware to the ELK system accessible.  That's where some interesting
> work needs to be done.  How about utilizing the voice capabilities
> already existing in the ELK panel to provide voice feedback for the
> control panel menu's and buttons as a starting point.  As an incentive
> to the marketing department, don't forget our aging population, with
> their failing eyesight.

It's not difficult to motivate ELK to improve their M1G system.  The company is
very open to requests for new features and capabilities.  They're one of the few
that will let dealers talk directly to the design engineers.  Though they do
prefer to deal with us, they'll still talk to end users when there's a need.
I'll see what I can do.

> I would be thrilled to work with you and ELK in anyway I can to improve
> the accessibility of the ELK system.

Same here.  I enjoy my job but it's even more fun when I get to do something
creative.  If that also helps make life easier for someone with special needs,
so much the better.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Burglar Alarms
The Online DIY Store
http://www.BassBurglarAlarms.com

--

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups.