Re: Wires Through Walls

On 10 Apr 2006 07:43:31 -0700, BrianEWilliams <sorry_no_email@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The simplest thing I can think of to do this cleanly is a plastic
> conduit that has removable caps on both ends for when it is not in use,
> and 'flanges' on both sides to cover the rough cut of the wallboard.

I didn't bother with the caps, my conduit is always in use.

For the flange, I took a two-gang blank cover and used a (cheap
harbor-freight) holesaw to cut the proper size hole to fit snugly around
the conduit.  (The more expensive nylon cover plates are easier as they
are less brittle.)  I sized the length of the conduit to protrude
slightly (3/16" or so) beyond the cover.  I rounded the edges of the
conduit and used caulk to seal the conduit to the drywall (hidden behind
the cover).  I used normal 2" PVC electrical conduit (grey) but you
might prefer PVC (white) or CPVC (off white) or ABS (black) or some
other variety of pipe.  For a chase that short I think material does not
matter significantly.

Oh, mine is an outside air inlet for a pellet stove.  The outside
protrudes several inches and is cut at a severe angle (to increase the
size of the opening) and screened to block insects, etc.

sdb

--
Wanted:  Omnibook 800 & accessories, cheap, working or not
sdbuse1 on mailhost bigfoot.com