Re: Wires Through Walls

> I'd like to put a media server in my bedroom closet.  The problem is
> that there is no power, cable, or ethernet in the closet.  I could run
> wires along the baseboard, but that is ugly.  I could pay an
> electrician, but that is expensive.  The idea I have is to drill a
> large hole through two pieces of wallboard and run the wires through
> that.  This would be behind furniture and not visible from the bedroom.

Which, for AC power, would violate code.  Do it right, put in the correct
type of outlet.  Either as a leg off a nearby outlet that's KNOWN to have
enough amperage to support being extended, or just pull a new leg from the
breaker panel.

Then treat the media wiring the same way, just use wall plates designed for
the purpose.

Think of it this way, if contractors do it everyday, how hard can it be?  If
you do it wrong and burn down your house, well, don't expect much sympathy
from the insurance company.