Re: How to protect from moisture?

> I use ropelight around the underside of my deck's railing and on the
> stairs. It produces a nice warm glow, etc. Backlighting...
>
> Where the thing plugs in is an extension cord...

I used rope light around my pool cage for several years.  It was exposed to
Florida weather and in contact with the ground (well, with the lanai floor
anyway).

> This is outdoors, in Oregon no less, and in contact with the ground...
>
> I'm looking for some sort of plastic box that the male & female plugs
> can be joined within, and then closed-up and sealed from the weather.
>
> I need waterproof!

More than waterproof, you need a good GFCI extension cord.  This will protect
you better than any waterproof box.  Unfortunately, no matter what you use
outdoors short of a NEMA cabinet, sooner or later it's probably going to get wet
inside.

> Does anybody know of a product that can afford such protection?

Outdoor extension cords with heavy duty, rubber (probably neoprene though I'm
not certain) end fittings don't require a box.  They are available at most
electrical supply stores, some hardware stores and probably at Home Depot or
Lowe's as well.

Rather than add a GFCI extension cord (my cable plugged directly into an outlet
under the covered part of the lanai) I installed a GFCI breaker in the
electrical panel.  Since that breaker powered outdoor ground lighting and some
of the pool equipment, it seemed best to just protect the whole affair.  Ground
fault protected breakers are also readily available from the same sources.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Burglar Alarms
The Online DIY Store
http://www.BassBurglarAlarms.com

--

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups.