Re: Battery Boxes...What One Company Designed

On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 22:22:22 GMT, Marc F Hult <MFHult@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote in message  <1n5pi1lebiqh3s3r6lmt0gcoj4lamu213v@xxxxxxx>:

>On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 22:49:34 +0100, John Beardmore <wookie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>wrote in message  <swJkGVFu9ILDFwI9@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>
>>In message <1126991094.077828.159950@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>>Too_Many_Tools <too_many_tools@xxxxxxxxx> writes
>>
>>>I should mention that I was really surprised that the box relied on
>>>only a passive system (a couple of small vents in the back) to vent
>>>hydrogen.
>>>
>>>Is this common with commercial equipment?
>>>
>>>The box is stamped with UL and NEC approvals.
>>
>>How much hydrogen do you think will be evolved ?
>>

>>Cheers, J/.

Cheers?  Now you've got me fretting/thinking  again ;-) .

Years ago I built a mobile environmental research lab that carried a couple
hundred cubic feet of H2. The lab was quite air tight and I'd work and sleep in
it during Minnesota winters. The H2 was being continually used for scientific
instrumentation to create a flame so it wasn't immediately discernable whether
some was escaping into the lab atmosphere. The lower explosive limit of H2 is
only about 4% ...

If someone has authoritative information on current best management practices
for hydrogen from small battery banks such as we are discussing, I'd appreciate
knowing.  Also reasonable priced H2 sensors. A quick f/google showed me that
they are still an obstacle to progress.

TIA ... Marc
Marc_F_Hult
www.ECOntrol.org