Use of Audio Matrix Mixers in Home Automation

Seems to me that many of the applications of audio explored in this newsgroup

1) revolve around proprietary, closed systems
2) are limited in what they can do or
3) form separate subsystems that are not well integrated with the HA system
as a whole.

Here's an approach using audio matrix mixers with voltage controlled
amplifiers (VCA's) that is more general and can integrate most all audio
parts of a HA system.

www.econtrol.org/audio.htm

The mixers I use happen to be made by Ivie. I've been satisfied with the
quality of their internal VCA's and their equipment in general. They are
often available through eBay for dimes on the dollar. But one could also make
them from scratch and(or) forego the volume control and easily build
switching-only matrices with relays. (There is often/usually more than one
way to control audio volume).

Also revised is a discussion of control hardware for 'ActiveKnob' control:

www.econtrol.org/16-pos_ak.htm

HTH ... Marc
Marc_F_Hult
www.ECOntrol.org