Re: how to fit x10 switches in a gangbox

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 15:02:55 -0400, "Armond Perretta"
<newsgroupreader@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
<lY-dnQSwAvFCFqDeRVn-rQ@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

>Bill Kearney wrote:
>> random735 wrote:
>>> Has anyone else had this problem?  is there a reasonable solution? is
>>> there a line of x10 switches that aren't so bulky?
>>
>> If there's a lot of 'extra' wire in the back of the box it's possible
>> you could trim it a bit.  But most likely there's not enough to make
>> it worthwhile.

>In several cases the common wires and some of the hot leads were cut way
>back, twisted together, and connected to a separate piece of 14 wire that
>was run out of the box.  Most of the leads from the X10 switches are
>stranded wire, and I was able to connect many switch leads to the single 14
>gauge wire.  This was a big help.
>
>This is not something I would want to do more than once, and I doubt that a
>professional installer would bother doing it this way considering the time
>required.  There would probably be little payback for such a job.

In the US, the National Electrical Code (NEC) _requires_ six inches of
conductor extending at least 3 inches outside the box -- so your wiring no
may longer meet code.

I am not an electrician or inspector, but this part of the code seems very
clear.

NFPA 70 National Electrical Code 2002 Edition 300.14:

" Length of Free Conductors at Outlets, Junctions, and Switch Points. At
least 150 mm (6 in.) of free conductor, measured from the point in the box
where it emerges from its raceway or cable sheath, shall be left at each
outlet, junction, and switch point for splices or the connection of
luminaires (fixtures) or devices. Where the opening to an outlet, junction,
or switch point is less than 200 mm (8 in.) in any dimension, each conductor
shall be long enough to extend at least 75 mm (3 in.) outside the opening."

I had a friend who in the 1970's wired a farm out-building to be his
residence. He very neatly routed and cut off what he though was 'excess'
wire. The county inspector - who as the story was told was also the
principal wiring contractor and didn't much like them long-hairs coming to
his county -- failed the wiring. Every last piece of wire was too short and
had to be replaced ... Second time around he got him for too tight bends (
too neat) but that was more easily fixed. .

Marc
Marc_F_Hult
www.ECOntrol.org