Re: OUTDOOR X10 outlet?

"Ian Pilcher" <i.pilcher@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:ks-dnZCl14dNhqneRVn-pA@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>I use an X10-controlled outlet to control my low voltage landscape
> lights.  The existing outlet just died (circuit breaker clicks three
> times when I attempt to turn it on) after about 3 years of use, and I
> guessing that exposing an indoor-rated outlet to outdoor temperatures
> might have had something to do with it.
>
> I've done some searching, and I can't find any X10 outlets rated for
> outdoor use.  Does anyone know where I can find such a thing?
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> Ian Pilcher                                        i.pilcher@xxxxxxxxxxx

I have a RadioShack X10-compatible outlet installed in a waterproof J-box in
my backyard. It controls the "umbrella lights" and has been working well for
almost a year in this capacity, faithfully turning the lights on and off
each night. Maybe it's due to our mild weather here, but I'm keeping my
fingers crossed.

For our low-voltage lights, I have two separate transformers (one for the
front, one for the back yard) on two separate circuits; these are installed
in the garage. One of them is rather hefty (600W). These are both connected
to RadioShack appliance modules and these have been working flawlessly for
about three years.

I'm certain RS sources their parts from X10, but in my experience, they have
worked quite well, especially considering they were around $12 each.

Craig