Re: Home Wiring How To

On 13 Sep 2005 17:49:39 -0700, "AJ" <flytier@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Came across an interesting product, apparently its an easy to follow
> wiring system that covers all type of wiring applications.  It also
> includes a unique labeling system.
>
> Does anyone have any info on this?  The product is on amazon and its
> called 'athomesmart'.

There's a free home pre-wire guide on the 'Net that you might
like to peruse before spending money on one.  Also, unique
labeling systems might not be understandable to the next guy who
purchases or works on the house.

FWIW, I've used a simple, easy to understand and extremely
inexpensive method of labeling cables for many years and it works
fine.  Write directly on the jacket using a blue or black
"Sharpie" brand, fine point laundry marker.  Most other labels
can come off or wear away during wire pulling.  Sharpie will be
there until Jesus comes back.

I write a foot or two from each end of each cable what it does
and where the other end is -- for example, "Left Rear Living Rm
Window" on an alarm wire.  At the other end it might say "Master
Control Panel" or "Hall Closet Zone Expander".

The method isn't UL or anything else but it works well, costs
next to nothing and is understandable to anyone except a Dell
tech support guy.  :^)

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass