Re: Harmony Remote supports Zwave

Ok, well, I was trying to be generous :-) I guess that, even if you thought
that their cables were the greatest thing since platinum infused, hydrogen
rich copper braided bread, the connection with home automation. Though, they
will have all of the Best Buys and Circuit Citys in the country at their
disposal to sell whatever they come up with.

The problem of course is that you can't really control a lot of stuff purely
through a technology like Z-Wave. It's not a general purpose control
mechanism. It would always have to be used outboard from existing equipment
and it can't handle the transmission speeds of even moderately fast serial
devices.

So it's kind of like Firewire and their HAVi stuff (did I capitalize that
right?) If your scheme depends on the mountain coming to you, it'll never
work except within a limited universe that almost no one really lives in. So
unless Monster is going to make Z-Wave enabled A/V Processors and such, I
can't see how they expect to really control a home theater via this scheme.
They could control the lighting, but no one needs Monster to do that. They
could buy a couple of existing lamp modules and a Z-Wave remote and do that.

So maybe I'm missing some really obvious way that Z-Wave could be used in
theater automation, but the concept seems kind of iffy to me.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
www.charmedquark.com