Re: Upgrade HomeSeer to 2.0 ?

 1. Its not a program for non-technical people. I had a tough time
> trying to figure out what was happening and in the end,  I still
> couldnt get it to do a simple event: "if A1 received, then send B1". I
> assume I had to write a script but could find no examples of how to do
> that.

You were not hallucinating. That doesn't exist yet. It's coming up in the
1.5 release, and will likely be the only 1.5 major feature, so that we can
get it out very fast. For us, unlike HS, these types of things have to be on
a network wide basis, since CQC is fully network distributed, so it's a lot
more complex problem for us. But we've worked out our strategy and I'm
working on it as we speak actually. Once we get this in place, that will be
the last significant hole filled on the core automation side.

> Homeseer.  Oh, you should make the USB zwave driver part of the
> download package. I had to hunt all over the CQC website to find a
> reference as to to where to download the drivers. Or at the very least
> put a reference to it on the main CQC download page.

I'm kind of leary of putting third party drivers in the actual package. The
package is documented on the Z-Wave driver page. Any time you have a
question about a given device, go to Learn,then Suppored Devices and check
the driver docs for that device. Any third party drivers needed by that
device will be linked to there.

> 3. CQC seems to be oriented toward AV control, which I do very little
> off. I just want to make lights go on and off.

Well, I would say that, in addition to traditional automation, it's strong
in the theater and media management areas :-) It's not really oriented
towards anything, since it's just driver based. But it just has a good
number of drivers for theater oriented devices at this point. And I'd argue
that the extensive user interface support we have is very much important in
the traditional home automation world as well, though it's not important to
every user of course.

> 4. I didnt see any support for X10 RF like the W800 or MR26 receivers
> which is important to me. Again, I guess its different applications.

There aren't currently drivers for those. We'll be getting them before too
much longer, and of course someone else could do them if they want to.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
www.charmedquark.com