Re: Automated front door lock?

"Jack Edin" <nospam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:JKCdnagDTbsxEc_eRVn-sA@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Bob,
>
> I use Kwikset locks on all my doors. They came with the house.
>
> So I bought a Kwikset keyless entry deadbolt.
>
> I was able to get it rekeyed to match everything else...

Very sweet!

> The remote is not IR, but RF - which is better.

I'll bet a good case could be made for either technology.  I think I prefer
RF, but I'm not sure I know all the parameters to compare.

> Also it uses the rolling-codes so nobody can sniff your remote...

That's clearly an advantage over some other technologies.  I'm trying to rig
up something for my Dad whose arthritis is so bad that he sometimes can't
manage to fumble for the keys or use them.  I was looking at the Smarthome
proximity tags.

http://www.smarthome.com/7434.html

That would eliminate keyfob fumbling but would not be nearly as secure, at
least from what I can tell.

> It is compatible with my Genie garage door opener, which also uses RF
> and rotating codes...

That's a big plus, too.

> I then modified the keyfob to be driven by relays. 3 of them... 1 for
> lock, 1 for unlock, and 1 for garage-toggle.

What's the range on the RF?  If I could mount a fob by Dad's bedside he
could unlock the door remotely when the cleaning lady or a repairman comes.

> Now my mighty M1 HA/Alarm can control it...

Or anything else that can open and close the relays, correct?

> I can lock or unlock (or open/close the garage) from any keypad.
> The doors lock automatically when the alarm's exit timer has expired.

Way cool!

> As such I can unlock through the Elk M1's web interface as well.
>
> Cool beans!!

Very cool indeed.  Can you read the status of the lock remotely?

> You can probably find them elsewhere, but eBay is easy...

http://cgi.ebay.com/BRAND-NEW-KWIKSET-MAXIMUM-KEYLESS-ENTRY-SYSTEM-DEADBOLT_
W0QQitemZ6006018177QQcategoryZ41978QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

> Good luck, and enjoy!

Thanks for the all the info, Jack!

--
Bobby G.