Re: Additional X10 data points

On Sat, 01 Oct 2005 11:02:06 GMT, Charles Sullivan wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 17:12:07 -0500, Neil Cherry wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 20:21:50 GMT, Charles Sullivan wrote:
>>> On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 12:13:19 -0500, Neil Cherry wrote:
>>>

>> We only have problems with 2 sets of bulbs. The first is anything on
>> an X10 dimmer, the second if a set of Halogen bulbs that hang down at
>> the front door. The opening and closing of the front door causes
>> problems with the halogen and they have to be the type that can hang
>> down. The rest of the bulbs in our home last (alot) longer than 6
>> months.

> Could your experience have anything to do with bulb orientation?
> Most of the lamps controlled by X10 dimmers at my place have the bulbs in
> socket-side down orientation.  I know that some bulbs are rated only for
> socket-side down or horizontal orientation, and wonder if perhaps _all_
> bulbs are more susceptable to earlier failure if operated socket-side up.
> I assume the difference has something to do with the effect of heat on the
> glass-metal seal where the wires go through the glass.

All the bulbs on the X10 are horizontal. We (my wife an I) didn't
learn about orientation problems until we purchased the halogen.
On the issue of power, the power in the are is ok. We had problems
until a few years ago when we discovered that the power only 'blinked'
during strong wind storms. Turned out the power couplers had come
loose. A call to the power company brought out a field tech and he
recrimped them with a massive crimper.

> BTW, most of the X10 wall switches and dimmers at my place are
> Radio Shack branded and were installed ~ 1997.   One wall switch
> failed and was replaced about 2 years ago.  Lighting is controlled
> primarily by timed macros and remotes - wall switch push buttons are
> rarely used.

The troublesome swith is the cheap Radio Shack one. The pushbutton is
seldom used (it's difficult to get to which is why it's on X10). The
other is a RS Lamp module.

--
Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry       ncherry@xxxxxxxxxxx
http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/               (Text only)