Re: Simple access security setup for home

<hhcuriosity@xxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I want to rent an appartment by the week and I need to conceive a
> pretty neat setup to let people in.
>
> I want to have a keypad on the exterior door connected to an access
> controller that has battery backup.
>
> I will hook up a PC to the controller and feed access codes
> automatically to it with a program on the computer (probably a linux
> box) through a serial RS-232 interface.
>
> Do anybody know of a cheap setup that could do this. I only found
> bigtime solutions for business. Access controllers that handle
> holidays, 500 codes and up, etc. I just need to feed it a couple of
> codes (5 max). The computer would update the access controller's list
> of codes.
>
> I found access controllers that cost 200$ US and keypads that cost 300$
> US + electronic strike that cost 300$US.
>
> Are there residential grade components out there?

No such thing as "residential grade components" when it comes to access
control.  There's no simple *and secure* solution either, and placing a
keypad outside the protected premise isn't a good idea particularly if it's
controlling the entry door.  Better to go with a proximity reader and
keyfobs.  You're still looking at paying between $750 and $1000 though.
Make sure the controller is mounted *inside* the protected premise, or
you're liable to find some savvy guy that'll be able to bypass the system.
In other words, shy away from the "all-in-one" solutions that I know are out
there.  If it's a "rented" premise, you'd best secure the controller in a
well protected (*and inaccessible to the tenants*) area.