Re: non proprietary stuff

On 30 Oct 2005 13:21:30 -0800, "Marc Gerges" <marc.gerges@xxxxxxxxx> wrote
in message  <1130707290.886455.235910@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>Hello --
>
>Where should I start looking when I want to setup light control
>(switches, dimmers, relays) using non proprietary hardware?
>
>I'm after a setup with around 12 light points, multiple switches, and
>integration with my home server (e.g. access via standard protocols to
>the log and current status of lights). The only thing I found that was
>not limited to a single vendor was EIB, and that's expensive as hell.
>
>I do not want to use X10 equipment. My electric installation is setup
>to accomodate signal lines and power lines everywhere. I don't want to
>transmit signal over power with all its disadvantages. Plus, most X10
>equipment is for 110V AC, while I am using 220V AC.
>
>Regards,
>Marc

Not proprietary.
Not power line control (PLC)
Not radio frequency because you want to use signal lines that you have
installed

Assuming that you want to be able to _dim_ the lights (not just on-off) ,
the options I know of are:

Digital: DMX512  which is the universal standard for entertainment lighting
(theatre, concert, lightshow etc) and is also used for architectural
lighting. Google dmx512 and dmx-512.

Analog:  0-10vdc analog control

There are reasonably priced, commercial dimmers with CE
certification/approval hat have _both_ DMX512 and  0-10vdc analog control

One is shown here on my web site:

 www.econtrol.org/dmx512.htm.

Alternatively one can use conventional solid state relays in a central panel
as shown here:

www.econtrol.org/ssr_panel.htm

The complication/challenge comes with the interface. My solution is a device
that (for better or worse) I dubbed ActiveKnob which is explained here:

http://www.econtrol.org/16-pos_ak.htm

which uses a motorized potentiometer that can be controlled by a home
automation control program of rotated by hand. In either case, the knob
position always accurately reflects the control voltage.

Open-source DMX512 transceivers with USB interface to a computer can be had
these days for as little as $25 if you do some work yourself or $50 all
built http://www.enttec.com/opendmxusb.php  There are many other home-brew
devices

www.econtrol.org/DMX512%20Links.htm

Hope This Helps ... from another yet Marc ;-)
Marc_F_Hult
www.ECOntrol.org